Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snow Day 2014!

Since moving to Durham in 2011 I have been hoping for a snow day! Growing up in Texas there was no snow so imagine my disappointment when I moved to Durham and learned that it only snows once in a blue moon. I've been wanting to make a snow man and a snow angel for a long time and mother nature finally cooperated with me today!

I woke up this morning and looked out my window to see a beautiful winter wonderland! Little did I know that getting out my driveway would be a nightmare. Our driveway slopes up away from our house and unlike my neighbors I didn't think ahead and park on the street the night before the snow fall. My car was covered in snow and it took me a good 20 minutes to scrape all the snow away. Then when I tried to get out of the driveway the wheels spun around but the car went nowhere.... What's a Texas girl to do? I woke up my Iowa born and bred husband. He came out and shoveled the driveway, but the car still didn't go up the slope. I was panicking at that time so I called my attending for the day to let her know that I was running late since by that time I should have already had my operating room set up. Hubby went to the backyard and got a bucket of sand to sprinkle on the driveway. I use to tease him about having random piles of sand, dirt and rocks in our backyard, but his random sand came in handy this morning! The traction from the sand helped the car drive right up the slope and onto the street! I was super late to work, but better late than never!!

Laying down sand on our driveway
Abby wants to be just like her daddy so she was helping to put sand down too!
After I woke Jonathon and Abby up. I threw some winter clothes onto Abby while Jonathon was stumbling around the bedroom waking up (he is NOT a morning person). I took Abster to the front door to get her first glimpse of snow. She was not having it. She took one look at the front yard covered in the weird white stuff and started crying. It took a little convincing but she eventually warmed up to the idea of snow. Benjamin, her uncle, godfather and awesome nanny spent the better part of the afternoon playing out in the snow with her. Abby had a blast! Now that Abby and I have experienced our first snow it can go away. Driving in it is not fun!

My little model!
Determined to go down the slide
Our water and sand table is now a snow table
I love this pic so much I made it my new facebook banner :)
The princess of our little cul de sac

8 comments:

  1. Awwww, Abby modeling in that purple coat. Love love love.

    YAY for snowday fun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abby looks good in purple. It's been her favorite color since she was in my womb ;)

      Delete
  2. Abby felt like a lot of us transplanted northerners feel when we see snow...I looked out my window and almost cried myself. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. That was the sentiment of everyone I work with!

      Delete
  3. Abby is so cute! Olivia probably would have reacted the same way initially lol! How lucky are you guys to have so much snow! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we went to your parents house in December to visit Chloe your mom and grandmom said Abby acts just like Olivia!

      Delete
  4. Abby is such a cute model. I need a love button for that picture!

    Glad you all made it through the snow. Having grown up in New England (the land of Nor'esters), I can certainly sympathize with your morning.

    Love the front of your house by the way. It looks really nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl if it werent for my husband I would have taken a cab to work! Thanks for the compliment on the house. The snow really does make it look nice ;)

      Delete