Monday, December 16, 2013

The Newest Graduate!

This past weekend my baby sister graduated with a bachelors in education from Texas Southern University. It has been a long time coming. Her story is a story of a phoenix rising. She went down the wrong path but through love and faith she turned her life around and has made us all so proud of her. I wasn't going to miss her graduation for the world! Watching her walk down the aisle and receive her diploma was so symbolic of her success. It was a triumphant moment for my family!

Abby with her favorite girl cousins, Ekata and Chinenye waiting (im)patiently for Aunty Ehinor to walk the stage

Graduation Shenanigans
My baby sister about to walk on the stage. I was so proud of her. She made us all so happy and proud!



The Graduate surrounded by her brother, sister and cousins

My cousins and I having an impromptu photo shoot with our Aunty in the lobby of Maggianos

Party #1: A luncheon at Maggianos

As I was taking this picture I noticed through the windows on the right a shiny black car pulling up to the curb with burgundy TSU balloons tied to the window....

In a totally Hollywood moment, my brother jumped out of the car with a bouquet of flowers. We all started screaming and ran outside when we realized it was a graduation gift to my sister from my parents!

Our newest Graduate was in tears. She was so excited and surprised!

Surrounded by love

Brand Spanking New. Only 15 miles on the odometer!

Ehinor and her girls!

Abby amusing herself with the banquet room Christmas tree ornaments

My baby sister and my baby daughter. My heart was bursting with happiness.
After we left the luncheon we headed to my parents house to prepare for Party #2, the big Nigerian celebration. That evening the house was overflowing with people I haven't seen in years. I felt so at home amongst my people! My daddy was blasting classic as well as recent Naija tunes, my mommy and aunties had a great spread of Nigerian food and the dance floor was full of my family trying to outdo each other with their moves. Good times!

My sister starts work this week teaching special education to elementary students. My graduation gift to her was a boatload of supplies to decorate her classroom that I purchased on Oriental Tradings website. I thought of her this morning as I was heading to work and it made me smile to think of her driving to her new job in her new car with all the new classroom decor I bought her ready to be placed in her very own classroom. God is good!


12 comments:

  1. Congrats to Ehinor! God always returns his sheep back to the flock when they go astray! Funny thing is Micaela has that same silver and pink dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our moms must be shopping together because the dress was a gift from Grandma!

      Delete
  2. Amy, a huge CONGRATULATIONS to your lil sister!! She is a fighter and I am happy for her! My family had a situation with my brother, but he is doing very well now, praise God!! It's so important that we continue to encourage and support our siblings.

    Wishing her God's guidance as she starts a new phase in her life. She is looking fabulous in that fly car!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank God for what he has done in the life of my sister and your brother!!

      Delete
  3. Congrats to your sister! What a blessing! She deserves it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes oh, we praise God and congrats to your sis on the birth of your new niece who is uber adorable!!

      Delete
  4. This is so awesome! Congratulations to your sister! Quite an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We are so very proud of her!

      Delete
  5. Well done to your sister! She did all of you proud. Hard work always pays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It always does. I am praying she continues to pour all her energy she poured into school into developing her career!

      Delete
  6. This is fantastic. Congratulations to your sister!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete