Tuesday, December 31, 2013

30 by 30

The day I got married I weighed in at about 125 pounds. Now? I am embarrased to say I weigh in at a whopping 167.2 pounds... I am very uncomfortable with my current weight both physically and mentally. Though I have been doing a lot of talking about loosing the weight ever since I had Abigail I haven't really put my words into action. That is until now. I got a discounted membership to the Durham YMCAs a few days ago through the Duke Live for Life program for employees. A huge bonus is that there is a Y super close to my house that includes childcare for Abigail while I use their facilities!

Since my old work out clothes were too small I bought some new work out clothes and ordered some new running shoes. I found my old i-pod, pink pearl, and miracle of miracles it still works after 3.5 years of not being used or charged. Apple makes good products! During my first work out I was on the elliptical listening to my old work out mixes and surprised myself with some of the super hood songs I use to listen too. lol. I kept wanting to do the dougie and other dances as I exercised. I use to be cool! Then I noticed that everyone else was using their smartphones to stream music. Guess I need to get with the program and figure out how to get music on my iphone. Is there a way to transfer the music from my i-pod to the i-phone? Until then I will proudly use my now ancient pink pearl to get me in work out beast mode!

In addition to working out I am also revamping our eating habits around the Mauritz household. Weekly meal planning and meal prep as well as buying less processed foods and more fresh meats/produce are my goals. Any eating/exercising tips would be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a slow and steady overhaul. After all Rome wasn't built in a day. I'm hoping to loose about 1-2 pounds a week. My ultimate goal is to loose 30 pounds by my 30th birthday this summer. I know I can do it. I just need to stay motivated and hold myself accountable. I've publicly stated my goals and I hate failure so I must achieve my goal! Operation 30 by 30 has begun!!

And because no post is complete without a picture, here are two photos I snapped of Abby and her cousin while we were in Houston a few weeks ago:
Abigail and Chinenye. Cousins and Best Friends

Born only 7 months apart. I pray these two cousins grow up to be closer than sisters!

19 comments:

  1. You're doing a 30 by 30 challenge, too? LOL I was just telling my mom how I am going to lose 30 lbs by my 30th birthday (August 2014). I started eating clean and moving more. I cut out the junk and processed food three days ago and I already see a difference. For me, it wasn't the volume of food, but the quality, that caused weight gain.

    The smallest I've been as an adult is 128 lbs. I would love to get back to 135 lbs, so I can have my tiny waistline and size 4s and 6s again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Are you on the my fitness pal app? If not join it so we can encourage each other! I think u have to add people by phone number so email me and I'll send you my number! Mauritzfamily@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Whoops- just seeing this! I don't have the app, but I'll let you know as soon as I download it :)

      Delete
  2. GO AMY!!!!!!! You can do it! Like many things in life, starting to lose weight is so mental. You have to be committed no matter what! Stay motivated to go to the Y and workout even when you don't feel like it. Childcare included? That is great! The results WILL come. I myself would like to lose 12 lbs this year, but I have come a long way, as I used to be 30-35lbs heavier than the 150 I am now. Ahhh what a dream it would be to be in the 130s! I'm right there with you!

    I saw a lot of success when I got crazy about eliminating refined carbohydrates and eating a whole grain substitutes (pasta, pancakes, etc). I am in love with sweet potatoes, and like to pair them with a protein & veggies for a yummy dinner. I was also watching my sugar intake too. It's amazing how much sugar is in foods these days! Even some of the "healthy" foods are packed with sugar (many yogurts have a TON). Thank you for inspiring me this morning! I have to get back to these ways!

    The fact that your ipod still works is amazing! I cringe when I listen to mine and hear the junk I listened to in my teens/early 20s. oh my goodness!

    Wishing you & your family a happy and healthy 2014 :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I wanted to add that Kashi products are whole grain and great! From granola bars to cereal and waffles to pizza, they make a lot of delicious AND healthy fare. You can usually find them in most grocery stores, and definitely in Whole Foods! Oatmeal with your favorite fresh fruits is also a great breakfast option (and it's heart healthy too)! I like instant because it cooks faster! lol

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the tips! I will try some kashi products during my next grocery trip!

      Delete
  3. You go girl! I'm still on it myself and just taking it one day at a time. I've seen some great changes but still quite far off from where I want to be, but we will get there! I'm sure you'll also give me some more inspiration too as you go along!

    For the streaming music you should check out https://www.spotify.com/ I use it all the time and its great for streaming music for free (with some ads thrown in of course :))

    Good luck and have a fabulous 2014!! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go girl, I am rooting for you. So brave of you for putting your numbers out there. That's definitely the first step, right.

    Happy New Year 2014, cheers to a healthier, skinnier, and happier you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first step is admitting the problem. The weight number horrified me but it felt almost cathartic to post it. I can't wait until June to post what I pray will be a much nicer number :)

      Delete
  5. You are awesome Amy! You can do it!!!

    Your honestly is definitely going to motivate you towards your goal! I am trying to get back in shape but I talk about it and haven't really been able to make it happen so I am going to not say anything this time and hope it works. Will post if it does :-).

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get the my fitness pal app. It's so good about calorie counts and tracking exercise!

      Delete
  6. Oh Amy, wish you could see me waving my pom poms. Cheering you on!!!!
    Ok so, I have 13 months 30 but this was me in 2013. It was so depressing especially as I used to be such a fitness nut. But I lost 15 pounds within a year just by pacing myself and setting small goals. I'm talking as small as .5 pounds or at nothing gained per week. Still working on my tummy, still very poofy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Forgot to add. See if you access your old iTunes account on your new iPhone you might be able to synch your music. Oh, and should have iTunes Radio on your phone, you can create custom stations and listen for free.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really hope to drop all the weight I accumulated post AOI and now, I've set a goal to reach my ideal weight by August

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can do it. Dedication and commitment is all you need. You can visit my blog www.santedelavie.com for tips. I had my son some few years ago and weighed in at 200lbs and it affected me. A year and few months later, I lost over 60lbs by exercising and changing my eating habits. It was hard in the beginning but I got there and I know you will. I wish you luck on your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh girl, you and me both! I've gained a lot since I got married and I keep wanting to get back on track. I do it then I fall back. I'm hoping this year it will stick.

    I know you can do it! I think a public announcement like you have done is definitely the first step in the right direction. I'm cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Abby has grown so much, she is still so cute. I wish you and your family a blessed 2014.

    Drink lots of water, really helpful for losing water.

    have started blogging again, check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will totally rock the 30 by 30 because you're one of the most amazing people I've gotten to know in the blogshphere. I look forward to hearing all about your journey.

    ReplyDelete