Sunday, June 3, 2012

Nigerian Plane Crash

I've put Abby to bed but I can not sleep. My plan for today was to go to church, have family time and then blog about something light-hearted, but ever since I heard about the plane crash in Nigeria this morning I have been in a state of disbelief. A family friend of mine got married yesterday in Abuja and early this morning many of his wedding guests lost their lives traveling home from the wedding on the ill fated Abuja to Lagos flight. My brother in law Chima and my cousin Clara both went to Nigeria for the wedding and both were actually trying to change their flights to get on the flight that ended up crashing. Today my family is on our knees thanking God for sparing their lives but at the same time praying for those whose lives were not spared.

Chima posted beautiful pictures from the wedding on his facebook page probably around the same time the flight was taking off. I can't help but cry as I look at the pictures of the wedding and see the smiling faces of many of the people that died. They had no idea that the next day would be their last day on earth.

I pray for the bride and groom. It must be weighing heavily on their hearts that one day they are celebrating their love and their union as man and wife and the next day they are mourning the deaths of several of their wedding guests.

I pray for my sister's good friend who just had a baby so she wasn't able to travel to Nigeria for the wedding. Her two sisters did and they both perished on the flight. Adjusting to being a new mommy is hard, but to have to mourn the death of your two sisters at the same time is unfathomable.

I pray for all those who died on the flight, their families, their friends and for the country of my birth. Nigeria you can and must do better.


16 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I am so sad to hear about this. Prayers go out to you and your family members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So incredibly terrifying and sad. I just pray and pray for the families of those lost. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so sorry to hear about this. My thoughts and prayers for the families who have lost their loved ones. So sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My prayers are with you and all of the families!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so terribly sad. My prayers are with you and your loved ones :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom found out her uncle was on the flight! May all their souls rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i saw this yesterday and cried and cried. i am so sorry that your friends and family have been impacted by this tradegy. so sorry. praying for the bride and groom and all those affected by this. may God give them all strength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so sad that things like this are constantly happening in Nigeria... May they rest in perfect peace and the Almighty console their family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear this...I am so worried as well, we keep calling everyone. And it is so sad how many people I indirectly know that died...may their soul Rest IN Peace...my family is thanking God with your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so tragic and so terrible. I can't even imagine. I'm glad your family is safe.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My heart goes out to you and your friends, and especially the families that lost loved ones. God will wipe their tears.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so sad Amy. I read about it after I read your post, such a sad story. I am so sorry for this tragic lost. May their soul rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i hear ALMOST the entire bridal train crashed. I lost a friend to the crash as well. May God grant the fortitude to bear the loss to the famlies and friends of the victim and grant the victims eternal rest

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Amy. That is so heartbreaking. I'm so glad that your family didn't suffer a loss, but what a loss to your newly married friends and the family of all of those who were lost.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow my thoughts are with your family...so
    So sad!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry...such inadequate words. I pray that God comforts all who were affected by this...it's just so sad to think of.

    ReplyDelete